Re-updating go-posh

For the last few years, I've been using this tool called "go" - an eminently unsearchable name. Basically, it's kind of like bookmarks for the command line - you can set directories to be remembered and go back to them with a single short command.

Anyway, shortly after I started using it, I posted a patch that added support for Powershell (which I call go-posh). That worked well and everything was fine. Then, a bit later, I added a few more small patches to the application, such as an option to print the directory path rather than changing to it.

Well, that was all well and good. I'd been using my patched version every day for quite a while. I even added it to my Mercurial repository for safe keeping.

What I didn't realize is that I never updated my original blog post with my second set of changes. I discovered this the hard way a couple of weeks ago, on the computer at my new job. When I set up go-posh on that computer, I just used the ZIP archive from my blog post, rather than cloning it from my Mercurial repository like I normally would. It worked just fine for a few weeks until I tried to run something like gvim (go -p sb/somefile.txt) and was informed that the -p option didn't exist.

I hate it when I do things like that. It's such a stupid mistake and it's extra embarrassing because it's been wrong for nearly three years.

Anyway, I've updated the old blog entry. That's a little out-of-date now anyway, so I also linked it to the project tracker page, which is the canonical source of information anyway. I even rebuilt the Mercurial repo to reflect the actual changes I made to the stock install, rather than the context-free initial import I had before.

So anybody who's interested should grab the code from there. The additions over what I used to have in the blog post download include the aforementioned -p option, as well as resolving of shortcut prefixes when they aren't ambiguous (e.g. if the shortcut is "downloads", you can just use "dow"), home directory detection for Windows, and improved support for the -o options. You can see more info in the README.txt file.

You can reply to this entry by leaving a comment below. You can send TrackBack pings to this URL. This entry accepts Pingbacks from other blogs. You can follow comments on this entry by subscribing to the RSS feed.

Add your comments #

A comment body is required. No HTML code allowed. URLs starting with http:// or ftp:// will be automatically converted to hyperlinks.